It has been a busy couple of weeks. Else Churchill is packing a huge amount into the Pharos course that I am working on, together with client work, putting courses together for Society of Genealogists and an assessment due for Strathclyde University hasn’t left a lot of time for my own research.
Coming back to my To-Do list for my grandfather:
Order birth certificate.Received. More detail completed for his birth. Locate death certificate. A copy received from my aunt and cousin. Detail completed in time time.
- Investigate using electoral registers when he moved from Foundry Lane to The Common. This will involve a visit to the Derbyshire Record Office in Matlock.
- Look at newspapers for more information about his accident. Nothing in British Newspaper Archive. Another for Derbyshire Record Office.
Investigate if Richard Johnson and Nephew records are accessible and view them if possible.As far as I can tell staff records have not survived.
- Investigate if more information about pre-war work as a farm labourer is available.
Order the will of Mary Barratt died 27 June 1957.Ordered
- Look for a baptism record.
- Learn more about RAF service. I know the family have the records but I have not read them yet.
NEW Investigate records of Queen Mary Nursing Home.It appears nothing before 1940 survives
|about 1870||Richard Johnson and Nephew Wireworks built in Ambergate. “Richard Johnson & Nephew Wireworks at Ambergate was a major employer of men and women from Crich Parish.”||16|
|1920-1921||Ireland partitioned into the Free State and the province of Northern Ireland|
|29 June 1923||0||Birth. Son of Thomas Humphrey HOPKINSON and Adelaide May STEWARDSON. Born Queen Mary Nursing Home, Derby. His father was a grocers assistant and the family lived at The Bungalow, Whatstandwell, Belper. His mother registered his birth on 27 July 1923. See Picture The Past for a picture of the nursing home.||Derby, Derbyshire||1, 2|
|28 February 1926||2||Birth of spouse, Norah May BOWLER||Belper, Derbyshire|
|27 February 1927||3||Birth of sister, Adelaide “Myrtle” HOPKINSON||Belper, Derbyshire|
|20 January 1936||12||George V dies and Edward VIII becomes King.|
|10 December 1936||13||Edward VIII abdicates to marry Wallace Simpson. George VI accedes to the throne.|
|20 May 1937||13||Death of mother, Adelaide May Hopkinson, from throat cancer.||Blackbrook, Milford, Derbyshire|
|03 September 1939||16||Outbreak of World War 2|
|29 September 1939||16||Occupation : farm labourer||Crich, Derbyshire||6|
|29 September 1939 – 15 October 1947||16||Lived at 102 The Common||Crich, Derbyshire||6, 13, 14|
|25-26 July 1941||18||Selection for RAF||7|
|04 September 1941 – 14 September 1946||18||Served in RAF Volunteer Force. Reached rank of Corporal. Trade ARM: Bomb disposal||Dispersal Centre: Hednesford||7|
|10 May 1945||21||Overseas military service commenced.||7|
|Abt February 1946||22||Marriage of sister to Herbert Slater||Belper, Derbyshire|
|29 November 1946||23||Military discharge||7|
|28 September – 12 October 1947||24||Marriage banns called||Belper, Derbyshire||13|
|15 October 1947||24||Married Norah May Bowler at the parish church at 2:30pm. |
He was working as a fitter at this time. Marriage witnesses William Leslie Webb and Glenda Ann Hopkinson.
|Belper, Derbyshire||13, 14|
|4 June 1948||24||Birth of son||Belper, Derbyshire|
|27 August 1950||27||Accident at work, Richard Johnson and Nephew wireworks. His arm was caught in a machine, badly mangling it and requiring extensive surgery. He worked as a die grinder.||Ambergate, Derbyshire||8. 9, 10|
|27 August 1950||27||Lived at 7 Foundry Lane||Milford, Belper, Derbyshire||10|
|06 February 1952||28||George VI died and Queen Elizabeth II becomes Queen.|
|15 February 1953||29||Birth of daughter||Belper, Derbyshire|
|02 September 1957||34||Inherited £50 from great aunt Mary BARRATT||11|
|1961||38||Moved from 102 The Common to 53 Over Lane||Openwoodgate, Belper||3, 4, 5, 12|
|11 August 1961||38||Birth of daughter||Belper, Derbyshire|
|28 December 1964||41||Birth of son||Belper, Derbyshire|
|24 August 1968||45||Marriage of son at St Peters parish church||Belper, Derbyshire|
|1972||48||Marriage of daughter|
|August 1973||49||Birth of grandchild||Derbyshire|
|09 August 1974||50||Birth of granddaughter||Kent|
|29 January 1976||52||Death of father||Openwoodgate, Belper, Derbyshire|
|07 December 1977||53||Birth of grandchild||Derbyshire|
|16 June 1979||55||Birth of grandchild||Derbyshire|
|1980||57||Death of son||Openwoodgate, Belper, Derbyshire|
|09 September 1980||57||Wrote a will||Belper, Derbyshire||4|
|1981||58||Remarriage of daughter|
|07 December 1982||59||Birth of grandchild|
|1983||60||Marriage of daughter||Openwoodgate, Belper, Derbyshire|
|25 December 1985||62||Birth of grandchild||Cheshire|
|11 August 1986||63||Died at Derby Royal Infirmary from a chest infection and carcinoma lung. My father registered the death on 13 August 1986.||Derby, Derbyshire||1, 3|
|07 October 1986||63||Probate, his estate was left to his widow||Manchester||3, 4|
I have left out some detail concerned living people to protect privacy.
There is plenty more I can learn but time to move on to another ancestor.
If you knew any of the people mentioned or have any other information you think I would be interested in I would love to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org or comment below.
More about Robert Humphrey Hopkinson
I am taking part in the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge for 2021! The challenge is organised by Amy Johnson Crow who provides a weekly writing prompt. This week’s prompt, “Beginnings” is of course a good place to start. I am planning that 2021 is the year I begin again with my family history […]
I am taking part in the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge for 2021. The challenge is organised by Amy Johnson Crow who provides a weekly writing prompt. I should have completed all 52 prompts by now, but I’m nearly there. I was not sure where to take this prompt and decided to type “Lines” […]
I am taking part in the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge for 2021. The challenge is organised by Amy Johnson Crow who provides a weekly writing prompt. This week the prompt is Family Legends. There are two stories I was told about my father’s side of the family. One that he was the oldest […]
- Deaths (CR) England and Wales. Derby RD. HOPKINSON, Robert Humphrey. 1986. Vol. 6. p. 736.
- Births (CR) England and Wales. Derby RD. HOPKINSON, Robert. 3rd Q., 1923. Vol. 7b. p. 1055.
- Testamentary records. England. 07 October 1986. HOPKINSON, Robert. Principal Probate Registry. Calendar of the grans of probate. https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk : accessed 20 December 2020.
- Testamentary records. England. 07 October 1986. HOPKINSON, Robert. Will.
- Hopkinson, Bill. (2014) My Great Grandfather2. Email, 22 October.
- 1939 Register, England. Crich Common, Derbyshire. HOPKINSON, Robert. Schedule 51/2. RG101/3084G/008/32. National Archives (Great Britain), Kew, England. Collection: 1939 Register. http://ancestry.co.uk : accessed 11 May 2020.
- Cresswell, Vicki. (2005) Re: Granpa. Email, 10 August, 10:38.
- Bowler, Bett. (2010) Re: Hopkinson. Email, 22 August, 15:27.
- Hopkinson, Bill. (2014) My Great Grandfather. Email, 21 October.
- Derby Daily Telegraph. (1950) Ambergate Accident. Derby Daily Telegraph. 28 August. p. 12c. https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000521/19500828/062/0012 : accessed 21 December 2020.
- Hawksley, Thomas Edgar (?). Probate calculations. BARRATT, Mary. 27 June 1957. Collection: Ruth Willmore.
- Directories. England. (1984) Phone book: Derby. British Telecom. p. 212. Collection: British phone books 1880-1984 from the collection held by BT Archives. http://ancestry.co.uk : accessed 26 October 2014.
- Banns (PR). England. Belper, St Peter, Derbyshire. 28 September 1947. HOPKINSON, Robert Humphrey and BOWLER, Norah May. Derby Records Office, Matlock, Derbyshire.
- Marriages (CR) England. Belper, Derbyshire. 15 October 1947. HOPKINSON, Robert Humphrey and BOWLER, Norah May. Vol. 3a. p. 130.
- Images: Photograph. Wedding of Robert HOPKINSON and Norah BOWLER. 15 October 1947. Belper, Derbyshire. Photographer unknown. Colourised by Ian Cresswell. Private collection of Vicky and Ian Cresswell, Belper. [Group photograph of wedding party outside St Peters Church, Belper, Derbyshire.]
- Patilla, Peter. Johnson and Nephew Ambergate Wireworks. http://www.crichparish.co.uk/newwebpages/wireworks2.html : accessed 06 February 2022.
- Images: Photograph. Robert HOPKINSON and Norah BOWLER with Ruth HOPKINSON. 1974. Location unknown. Photographer Bill Hopkinson[?]. Private collection of Ruth Willmore [Photograph of a couple holding a young child.]
- Images: Photograph. Wedding of Bill HOPKINSON and Vera TOMLINSON. 24 August 1968. Belper, Derbyshire. Photographer unknown. Private collection of Ruth Willmore. [Group photograph of wedding party outside St Peters Church, Belper, Derbyshire.]
- Images: Photograph. Bob and Norah HOPKINSON with son Bill HOPKINSON. 24 August 1968. Belper, Derbyshire. Photographer unknown. Private collection of Ruth Willmore. [Detail from Group photograph of wedding party outside St Peters Church, Belper, Derbyshire.]